Original tape of Rooty Toot Toot!
Photo 
Received in the mail today! Rooty Toot Toot! As I posted on Facebook:
Original tape of Rooty Toot Toot - several versions. Unfortunately it's 16 track format which my machine won't play and even the conversion service I've dealt with in the past isn't sure they can either. Comments? Advice?

[Image: reel1.jpg]
[Image: reel2.jpg]
[Image: page1.jpg]

[Image: page2.jpg]
Cindy McArthur, Webmaster
(04-22-2019, 09:48 PM)Cindy M Wrote: Received in the mail today! Rooty Toot Toot! As I posted on Facebook:
Original tape of Rooty Toot Toot - several versions. Unfortunately it's 16 track format which my machine won't play and even the conversion service I've dealt with in the past isn't sure they can either. Comments? Advice?

Wow!  Just wow!  Although I certainly don't know who could help you with this, I imagine someone will come forth with suggestions.  If I lived closer, I would help!  Pete
Cindy, is this the original 2 inch reel to reel tape? A friend of mine knows some people in Nashville who may be able to do something for you.

Dale
(04-23-2019, 07:50 PM)drd Wrote: Cindy, is this the original 2 inch reel to reel tape? A friend of mine knows some people in Nashville who may be able to do something for you.

Dale

Hi Dale,
It's 1/4". Today I was told: I feel that what you have is actually a mix from the 16 track. In those days, 16 or 24 track tape would be 1 or 2 inches wide. Mixes were made to 1/4 inch tape. 

Another response: The tape appears to be ¼” tape.  The documentation says that it is 16 track but there never was a ¼” 16 track format so it appears to be mis-labeled or not the right documentation for that tape.

Also Gary Gauger (percussionist on There is A Breeze) is sure Dave Greene (engineer) would have the original. So I've emailed David asking if he knows what's on this tape. But at least now I can take it to my usual place here in the Twin Cities. They're not that expensive and they baked and converted many of MJ's tapes in 2017 and did a good job. I also emailed Gordon Johnson (bass) and he thought it was pretty exciting to see this. Of course I will share the results with all of you!
Cindy
I'd love to hear the several versions of this as I'm just learning to play it on guitar and it'd be interesting to hear other ideas that might have been in play when choosing a final version.
I plan on bringing it in this Tuesday. It usually takes them several weeks to preserve and transfer.
They said it was blank. Sad
Oh, well isn't that a kick in the teeth?? I'm really sorry to hear that. That was on the first MJ LP I bought and the one I remember more vividly. HHMM?

I wonder what could have happened.
I didn’t even notice this tape wasn’t on a take up reel. The 10.5” 1/4” metal reels which come apart are pretty pricey on eBay. But I’ll be watching for one that I can afford and then transfer it to that and then I’ll have to cut it apart and put it on 2 7” reels which I can put on my deck and see if it really is blank. Now that I have no reason to doubt them but I just have to hear for myself.